Preparation of Mercury – The Eight Samskaras of Parada (Mercury)
5.2.6 Samskara – Rodhana (Revitalisation)
a) Name of the Process: Rodhana Samskara of Parada
b) References: (R.H.T.,Rasa Hridaya Tantra, 2005) 1
Mercury (Parada) is kept in a glass bottle (kacha kupi) filled with saline water (rock salt and water) for three days undisturbed. This is performed so that mercury (Parada) regains potency (virya prapti). (R.R.S., 1998) 2
Aim and Objectives
To remove the dullness of mercury.
To increase the potency of mercury or to make it more active. 3
Ingredients of Rodhana Samskara
- Trividha Patina Parada (purified mercury of the patana samskara) 1101 g
- Saindhava Lavana (rock salt) 300 g
- Saturated salt water (lavana jala) 1.5 l
2 + 3 to produce saturated salt water (lavana jala) (1:5) w/w)
Apparatus and Materials
- Glass jar with lid
- Cotton cloths
- Measuring flask
- Thick thread
- Weighing balance etc.
- A saturated solution with rock salt (Saindhava lavana) and water was prepared.
- The saturated solution was filtered through a cotton cloth to remove impurities.
- Mercury (Parada) and the saturated solution were put into a glass bottle (kacha kupi) and covered.
- Mercury was kept undisturbed for 3 days in a quiet place.
- After 3 days the saltwater was carefully poured off.
- Mercury was washed with 2 l of cold water, then with 1 l of Kanji (sour gruel) and after this once more with 3 l of water. Enough water was used so that all impurities were completely removed and the mercury was glossy and clear.
- Through filtration, the last remnants of impurities were removed.
The rodhana samskara (revitalisation) was performed from 17th to 20th July, 2012, for three days.
- Some impurities were found on the filtering cloth during filtering of the saturated solution of rock salt (Saindhava lavana).
- After one day of resting, a brown sediment had deposited on the mercury. Presumably, the saltwater had dissolved impurities from the mercury, which were now resting as a brown sediment over the mercury.
- On the second resting day, a brown sediment in concentrated form lay on the mercury.
- Brightness, shine and activity of mercury (Parada) were increased compared to patana samskarita Parada after the completion of the sixth process.
- Mercury (Parada) has to be completely dipped in saturated solution.
- The glass bottle (kacha kupi) has to be properly kept in a quiet place without disturbance.
Results of rodhana samskara
|1||Total time taken for Rodhana Samskara of Parada||Total 72 hrs (3days)|
|2||Kanji for washing||1l|
|3||Weight of Trividha Patita Parada||1101 g|
|4||Weight of Rodhita Parada obtained||1101 g|
|5||Loss of weight of Parada||0 g|
|6||Percent loss of Parada||0 %|
|7||Sample kept for analysis||10 g|
|8||Parada left after sample for analysis||1091 g|
1 Rasa Hridaya Tantra, Avabodha 2/9
2 Rasa Ratna Samuchchaya, 11/45
3 Rasa Hridaya Tantra, Avabodha 2/9
R.H.T.,Rasa Hridaya Tantra, G. (2005). Mugdhavabodhini Hindi Commentory by Acharya Chaturbhuja Mishra. Chaukhambha Publications, Varanasi, India.
R.R.S. (1998). Rasa Ratna Samuchchaya. 1, Chapter 5/139. New Delhi: Meherchand Laxmandas Publications.
to be continued…